She learned how to make a horn book.
She also got to practice some of the cursive kids had to learn then.
Its not easy and her quill pen (which we got at Old Sturbridge Village) isn't the easiest to control!
Here are some links to learn more:
- An amazing site on colonial America
- Map of colonial educational institutions
Education in the
- Northern Colonies
- Middle Colonies
- Southern Colonies
- Horn book replicas and cookie molds (?)
- Site on Children's lives in Colonial America
- Reproduction of The Colonial Horn Book
- Some lesson plans around Colonial schooling
Links to this post:
Where did you get that cursive font set? It is most attractive and I would be most intrested in learning this font.By Brett Knoss, at 6:55 PM
Brett, It is pretty! This was a sheet handed out to people who were practicing with a quill pen at Old Sturbridge Village (MA). I will see if I can find it tomorrow.. would a scan of it be of use to you?By nika, at 8:49 PM
Yes, it most certainly would be. Thank you.By Brett Knoss, at 11:54 PM
nika :: permalink